We are Engineering Designers with backgrounds in structural engineering, coding, mathematics and architecture. Our role is to apply intellectual rigour and imagination to structural design in architecture and beyond that into the fields of art, industrial design and science.
We exploit digital technology as a creative and productive tool and carry out original research into the application of computational design techniques thus making our designs appropriate, lean, unique and beautiful.
Our experience has been gained on projects as diverse as art installations in New York to a museum in Spain via temporary pavilions in London and Milan. We are an Engineering studio that believes that Structural design can go beyond the narrow confines of convention and is a natural starting point for collaboration in data driven design, product design, art, architecture and science.
We want to develop and apply digital tools to evolve practical solutions for the built environment. Our designs are not abstract they are real.
This reality means we are as interested in the process of production as we are generation.
The projects on our website are a small selection of the buildings, art installations and product designs we have fortunate to work on as Format and prior to that for Whitbybird/Ramboll UK
Calibrated and Interactive Modelling of Form-Active Hybrid Structures, Advances in Architectural Geometry, 9-13 September, ETH Zurich.
Calibrated Modelling of Form-Active Hybrid Structures, Smartgeometry 2016, 4-9 April, Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden.
Harding, J., Brandt-Olsen, C., Melville, S., Hills, S. 2017. The UWE Research Pavilion 2016 In: Proceedings of the IASS Annual Symposium 2017, 25-28 September 2017, Hamburg.
Melville, S., Brandt-Olsen, C., Harding, J. 2017. Calibrated modelling of form-active structures In: Proceedings of the International Association for Bridge and Structural Engineering, 19-20 April 2017, Bath.
Harding, J., Pearson, W., Lewis, H. and Melville, S. 2014. The Ongreening Pavilion. In: Proceedings of the AAG Symposium 2014, 18-21 September 2014, London.
Nielsen, T., Melville, S., Sproat, I. 2014. Populating surfaces with holes using particle repulsion based on scalar fields. In: Proceedings of the CAADe conference 2014, Northumbria.
Building Magazine article - Wonders and Blunders
Melville, S., Harding, J., Lewis, H., 2013. TRADA Pavilion - Searching for Innovation and Elegance in Complex Forms Supported by Physical and Software Prototyping. In: Prototyping Architecture: The Conference Papers, Building Centre Trust, London, ISBN 10 – 0-901919-17-9, 2013
Shepherd, P. and Pearson, W., 2013. Topology optimisation of algorithmically generated space frames. In: Proceedings of the IASS Symposium 2013, 23-27 September 2013, Wroclaw.
- Building Design magazine online - Stephen Melville wrote a article each week for a year on a chosen subject.
The Essence of Engineering - AJ publications.
Building Design magazine online - Stephen Melville wrote a article each week for a year on a chosen subject.
CLOG Magazine, NYC - work of Bjarke Ingels Group (BIG)
- Architecture Association, London - Active Matter I-IV, course collaborator
- Oxford Brookes School of Architecture - Associate Lecturer, undergraduate studies
- TU Delft School of Architecture - Guest critic, tutor and lecturer
- University of Westminster, School of Architecture - Guest critic and tutor
- Architecture Association visiting school Tel Aviv - tutor
- Northumbria School of Architecture - tutor
- White Arkitekter Making sense 2016
- RIBAJ Innovations in Architecture lecture and seminar May 2016
- Parametric Massing for Effective City Design, Chairman NLA London, 2014.
- Henderson Colloquium, Cambridge 2014 - invited participant and presentation on ‘The Spaghetti problem’
- Institution of Civil Engineers, London, public lecture - Design skills for the digital age.
- eCAADe conference, Newcastle, public lecture - Populating surfaces with holes using particle repulsion based on scalar fields.
- AOC Mumbai, public lecture - Computational Design.
- ZEZEZE Architecture Gallery, Tel Aviv, public lecture - Computer based design and manufacture.
- Prototyping Architecture conference, London - TRADA Pavilion – Searching for Innovation and Elegance in Complex Forms Supported by Physical and Software Prototyping.
- Den Kloke Tegning (The Smart Drawing) conference, Oslo, public lecture- Computational Design.
- Oxford Brookes University, public lecture - Structuring Architecture.
- TU Delft University, public lecture - Computational Design techniques
- University of Texas, public lecture - Structural Complexity
- Design Council CABE Built Environment Expert
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts
- RIBA Awards panel 2013
- RIBA visiting education board 2008 to date
- Bristol Urban design review panel member 2009 to date
- Weekly columnist Building Design magazine on-line
- Building Magazine - ‘Wonders and Blunders’ article
- Architects Journal - ‘Engineering wonders’ article